Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Time Flies -- Keeping Track of Hours

Do you keep track of your hours? If your position is hourly the answer is obvious. Well, maybe not so obvious. Some hourly church workers put in many more hours than they are paid for. Some church workers are asked to track their hours even if they’re not paid by the hour. Others who are not asked keep track anyway.

So, what do you do? Do you get paid by the hour or are you on salary? If you get paid by the hour do you count Sunday mornings? If you are on salary do you track your hours?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keeping track of hours is tricky because much of the work is "in-between" other things. For example, when you're reading curriculum you're working but what about when you're reading about spiritual development?

BK

Anonymous said...

I'm salaried, but I do track my hours. I want to be sure that I'm honestly giving my employer at least the amount of time I'm contracted for. I also want to make sure that I'm not being consumed by the job, and being fair to my family.

Anonymous said...

Good question about things like reading for spiritual development! I try to judge it by asking "would I be reading this if it weren't for my job?" Usually that will help sort out what's legitimately part of my work day (evening/life) :), and what's personal.