Monday, July 28, 2008

Recruiting Volunteers with Armor On


Summer in Michigan is great for a lot of reasons. But it always goes way too quickly and as it gets to be late July it is time to check the volunteer lists. We always like to give our teachers and leaders a rest before we ask them to commit for another year so every summer we face the same questions: Who will teach again? Who else should I ask? How many calls will we have to make to get all the slots filled?

Of course, it isn’t just filling slots. We try to match people with tasks so that they feel fulfilled in their work and so that the kids are ministered to by someone who has gifts to do what we’re asking them to do but, even with all that, the classes have to be staffed and we need names to go in every slot. I have a very many veterans who return and teach the children and youth programs every year. It is pretty easy to call them – they sometimes wonder why I don’t just assume that they’re going to do it but we both know that I need to ask them anyway. But even for some of those people I hate making the calls. Partly it’s because there are a LOT of calls to make and you can get to the point where you don’t even know who you’re talking to if you do too many in a row. But it is also because you never know when someone will hit you with an unexpected response. I was talking with Kathy, another children’s director, about asking people to volunteer. We both admitted that this is a particularly difficult part of the job. We both find it hard to avoid taking the “no thanks” remarks personally. I find that every time I need to make a call I have to get prepared. I have to somehow gear up for the conversation (which is really strange because I know and like all of these people.) Kathy says that she does the same thing. She calls it “putting on her armor.” I kind of liked that image because it really does describe what I do too. The problem, though, is that I put on the armor for Monday when I make the calls but on Wednesday, when I’m not wearing it, I get the calls returned and I’m not ready.

So, other church educators out there - how do you avoid taking the negative responses personally? Any advise?

2 comments:

Jolanda said...

For me it’s hard to imagine that people aren’t excited about connecting with kids and eager to be a part of their lives! But not everyone is called to kids. Sometimes I have to step back and look at the big picture and say – oh, this is just not where Anna fits, she’s involved in the women’s ministry and that’s a better fit for her gifts.

Michelle said...

Our recruiter says she is definitely anxious before calling out, and she prays alot! In her words "The ones I call are usually willing when asked. I try very hard not to let a negative response affect me personally, I am calling on God's behalf for the children of our "Family"."
Nicely Put!