Friday, February 05, 2010

Sing With the World

Last week I attended the Calvin Worship Symposium held in Grand Rapids. At the Conference I met Alison Adam from England. She led a group of high school students and teachers in learning some new songs as well as two children’s school groups in a worship service and a sectional. She introduced her new songs book and CD Sing with the World: Global songs for Children. Written with John Bell, the songs are delightfully and easy to sing. I especially like the song “Don’t be Afraid”. The lyrics are:

Don’t be afraid. My love is stronger

My love is stronger than your fear.

Don’t be afraid. My love is stronger

And I have promised, promised to be always near.

This is a great song to sing with “When I am Afraid”. It is also useful in worship with it's wonderful promise of assurance.

Alison also recommended the CD "Down To Earth" by fischy music. It can be purchased two ways: a CD with just the audio or and audio CD and a CD -ROM that includes teaching notes, lyric sheets, music and videos showing signs and actions. The video part is very simple -- one or two people talking and singing unaccompanied. The songs are also great with titles like" God Knows Everything", "Written on the Palm of God's Hand" and "Part of your Plan".

I bought both of these resources and have already found songs that I could use with the kids at our church.

1 comment:

Jolanda said...

This sounds like a great resource--I'm going to get a copy for our children's worship leader! My Sunday school class just finished Hand in Hand, a five week study on embracing diversity. That would have been a nice time to start introducing some of these global songs.